There are loads of reasons employees leave. According to Gallup the 5 main reasons employees leave your company are:
- Relationship with immediate manager
- Fit to job*
- Co-worker commitment to to quality
- Compensation and Benefits
- Connection to Senior Management.
You can correct 4 of 5 of these areas of discontent by adopting one simple philosophy: Create processes and environments that align the way you hire, reward, and communicate with employees to a basic understanding of their core values. You can do that by:
- Working with managers to understand employee values.
- Working with leadership to define your aspirational culture.
- Creating processes to hire, reward/recognize, and communicate with employees that are in line with employee values and your aspirational culture.
- Making adjustments based on what you learn through engagement surveys, interacting with employees, and other observational tactics to what you know about employee core values.
I said simple not easy! Each point above deserves a blog post of it’s own. (So sign up on the right for updates!) If you’re interested in learning more about the philosophy of Culture Alignment and how it can impact your business today than check out this white paper, “Replacing Culture Change with Culture Alignment.”
*Fit to job describes the way an employee or candidate’s skill set aligns to the job description. Most companies do a great job of determining this through interviews and skills assessments.